Below you will find the latest issue of the MIRROR, the quarterly newsletter of the Richmond Museum Association. We truly hope you enjoy it!
On Saturday January 31, 2015, the crew of the SS Red Oak Victory (ROV) hosted the 1st ever crab feed aboard the ship in the special events room also known as cargo hold #4. The crew was so happy that everyone reported to be stuffed after a lovely evening of warm crab with butter sauce, Caesar salad, and artisan bread! The weather that day was unseasonably warm to the delight of the guests. Tickets were sold out over a week before the event, so we had a full house of 150 people!
The ROV crew was delighted to be joined by the Sea Scouts of the SS Northland??who helped the crew serve, bus tables, and clean up!! Thank you Sea Scouts! The ROV crew was also joined by Chef Jerry Clopp and the students of the Hercules High School Culinary Academy, who assisted Victor Shepard in preparing the food. Thank you students!
The following set of crab fest 2015 images were submitted by local leader Joe Fisher of Fisher Realty. Thanks Joe! The first crab fest was such a huge success, that we plan on doing it again next year. So check in with us in December 2015 for tickets to the 2016 RMA crab fest!
At the annual membership meeting of the Richmond Museum Association (RMA) held on January 11, 2015, Ms. Lydia Stewart of Stewart’s Rose Manor Funeral Service was elected as the newest member of the RMA Board of Directors!
Ms. Stewart comes to the RMA with impressive credentials!! She is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley. She has?performed graduate studies at the University of California, Los Angeles and also at the University of San Francisco Law School. She has taught English to middle? and high school students for both West Contra Costa and Los?Angeles?Unified School Districts.? Also being?schooled in the Performing Arts, she has taught Drama and Dance?at the East Bay Center for Performing Arts in Richmond, California.
Some of Ms. Stewart’s Honors and Awards are as follows:
- 2001 “Woman of the Year” by the Business and Professional Woman’s Federation
- 2002 “Young Funeral Director of the Year” by the California Funeral Directors Association
- 2003 Honored for her contribution to African American Entrepreneurship by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- 2003 Honored by the Phylaxis Society for Bucks/Business in the four B’s Award Program
- 2003 Honored as a “Woman of Distinction” by Soroptimist International
- 2010 Honored by the Beta Pi Sigma Sorority as a “Woman of Valor” and recognized by the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors and City of Richmond
- 2010 Awarded a Certificate of Appreciation for contributions to the community from Elisabeth Missionary Baptist Church at their “History Making Program”
- 2010 Honored and recognized by the California Funeral Directors Association for significant contributions to the funeral industry
- 2013 Received Honorable Judge George Carroll Community Service Award by the “Black American Political Action Committee (BAPAC)
- 2013 Certificate of Recognition from California Senate for Exemplary Work and Outstanding Dedication
- 2013 Certificate of Recognition from California Legislature Assembly for Continued Commitment to Community
- 2013 Certificate of Achievement from the US State Congressman for community service
Welcome to the RMA, Lydia!
Happy New Years from the Richmond Museum Association (RMA)! We wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2015!
The electronic ?version of the quarterly RMA newsletter, the MIRROR, is now available! Simply click the link below to access the content!
Attention movie lovers!
The winter/spring 2015 lineup of the?wildly popular Historic Film Festival aboard the SS Red Oak Victory (ROV) has been announced! Please note the Film Festival will take place on Tuesday evenings rather than the usual Thursday evenings for the foreseeable future. All films begin at 7:00 pm.
January 20, 2015–The Heroes of Telemark (1965)
February 17, 2015–So Proudly We Hail! (1943)
March 17, 2015–Shining Through (1992)
April 14, 2015–Force of Arms (1951)
May 12,2015–The Josephine Baker Story (1991)
The ROV concession stand will be open during the Film Festival, so join us for a movie, popcorn, and hot chocolate!
*Updated January 15, 2015*