
Have you ever noticed the tall, brick and cement building located on the corner of Harbour Way and Nevin Avenue. Maybe while making a visit to the post office, enjoying food at Marty’s Grill, or driving by Kaiser Hospital? It might be surprising to know that this structure, situated in the heart of historic Downtown Richmond, was once considered a monument to Richmond’s civic pride. What is now the Carquinez Senior Apartments was originally founded as the Hotel Carquinez, Richmond’s original first-class hotel that was made possible solely through a community effort in the midst of the Roaring ‘20s and Prohibition.
Twenty years after its incorporation, Richmond had a population of roughly 27,000 people in 1925. The city was thriving as the Industrial City, with pioneer industries such as Santa Fe Railway and Standard Oil still booming. Hundreds of businesses lined Macdonald Avenue, making it a shopping destination for locals and those from neighboring towns. The Richmond Chamber of Commerce felt the need to further put Richmond on the map, not just as a place to live and work, but as a place for visitors to feel invited and inclined to stay. They therefore founded the Richmond Community Hotel, Inc. At the helm was their president, Edward M. Downer (1869–1938), of Mechanics Bank fame and namesake of Downer Elementary (formerly Junior High) School, and together they derived a concept that would establish a grand hotel that, as noted from the Community Hotel, Inc. brochure, would “be a Mecca for the traveling public as well as the center of our social activities.” This plan would allow Richmond citizens to purchase common and preferred stocks in order to finance the building, thus allowing them to be owners of Richmond’s first Community Hotel. At the end of the campaign, which was said to have only lasted nine days, 600 local citizens bought into the Hotel, amounting to a total sum of $205,000. In all, $250,000 was invested into the construction, equipment, and furnishing of the building, which is equivalent to $4.73 million today! Dr. Clark L. Abbott (1874-1963), one of Richmond’s first doctors and a major part of Richmond’s establishment, was one of the 600 individuals who purchased common stocks to help make the Hotel a reality.


By that time, James W. Plachek (1884-1948), an established architect who is still regarded for his designs of civic buildings in Berkeley, had already been chosen as supervising architect of this project. Prior to having his own practice, Plachek had previously worked as a draftsman for fellow local architect William H. Weeks (1864–1936), designer of 22 California Carnegie Libraries including our very own in Richmond (home of the RMHC). Both Plachek and Weeks were pioneers in designing seismically-sound structures throughout the Bay Area, a concept heavily studied and applied after the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire. Hotelier Charles B. Hamilton (1875-1946), president of the prosperous Hamilton Hotel, Inc., who at the time was already operating eight other luxury hotels throughout California and Arizona, had also already been announced as the 30 year lessee. Having such names associated with Richmond lead to high expectations for this project to further be a success.

Groundbreaking occurred on October 14th, 1925 and was a well attended event. The corner of Harbour Way (historically known as 10th street) and Nevin Avenue was chosen for the site of the new hotel due to its close proximity to the bustling Macdonald Avenue while still maintaining a quieter atmosphere. Additional enticement for the community hotel was that it was to be built of materials made by or bought through Richmond and other Contra Costa County businesses. Adamant about constructing a building that was structurally fireproof, bricks and cement sourced from our local facilities were utilized.
On April 30th, 1926, the name of the new hotel was finally revealed. About a year prior, the Community Hotel, Inc. had announced a contest via the Richmond Independent, inviting the students of Richmond Union High School to submit essays with their name suggestions and the winner would receive a $25 prize. The names that made it through as finalists all had a Spanish flair to them including the name offered by winning student Robert M. Wren (1910-2003), senior class of 1926 and Debating Club president. While the Hotel was under development, the Carquinez Bridge was already well into construction. Originally a single span, this bridge would be the first of its kind in the San Francisco Bay Area and it would unite Contra Costa and Solano Counties, which were separated by the Carquinez Strait (“Carquinez” being the Spanish word for the native Ohlone tribe in the area known as the Karkin people). Wren was inspired by the endeavor of the bridge and realized that Richmond would be the first major city travelers would come across from the North once the bridge was completed. This was also during a time that automobiles were more accessible to the public due to the Ford Motor Company and the introduction of assembly lines for quicker production of the Model-T. Streets were becoming lined with cars and the addition of the Carquinez Bridge would boost the amount of traffic that would pass through Richmond. It was due to this understanding of the positive impact that anticipated to come from the bridge that Robert Wren believed that Richmond’s new Community Hotel should be named “Hotel Carquinez.” Edward M. Downer heavily agreed with Wren’s argument and without question chose him as winner.


All of Richmond was invited to celebrate the formal opening of the Hotel Carquinez on July 17th, 1926. Present were those involved with the Community Hotel, Inc., the Hamilton Hotel, Inc., and city officials including Mayor Mattie Chandler (1868-1952), Richmond’s first woman mayor. Bookings for musical entertainment featured a series of performers including the Great Adolpho, an accordion player of Orpheum Circuit and Vaudeville fame. Also featured was local singer Marie Wallman, often heard over the airwaves of an Oakland-based radio station known as KTAB. Ultimately, the formal opening was a success and the officials involved were able to express their pride in not only the Hotel Carquinez but in the community as well.
Within the first few weeks, it was quickly realized that people from out of town had difficulties noticing the building. By the night of October 13th, 1926, an electric sign consisting of 7 foot-tall letters was completed and lit on the rooftop, reading “New Hotel Carquinez” which could be seen clearly and brightly while facing towards Macdonald Avenue but could be seen from all directions.
Major progress continued to be made throughout the city and within the first few months of the Hotel’s opening, the Ford Motor Company had ultimately chosen Richmond for the location of their new assembly plant, enticed by the Richmond Chamber of Commerce and the developing inner harbor area. The businessmen of Ford stayed at the Hotel Carquinez during their visits and the reception to celebrate the deal was held in the Hotel’s banquet room.
For the next few years, the Hotel Carquinez operated relatively smoothly and the community was enjoying it and the facilities it offered. Since Richmond did not yet have the means to establish an extravagant Civic Center, the Hotel Carquinez suited the city’s needs just as well. A few of Richmond’s staple service clubs including the Kiwanis, Lions, and Rotary Clubs relocated their headquarters there and became mainstays.
On July 30th, 1929, the Hamilton Hotel, Inc. decided that they wanted to focus on the larger hotels in their chain and chose to sell the remaining years of their lease to the Richmond Community Hotel, Inc. The agreement ended on good terms – the Hotel was left in fine shape and the community remained optimistic. However, just a few months later on October 29th, a day now infamously referred to as “Black Monday” occurred. The Stock Market crashed, pitching the country forward towards the start of the Great Depression. Though Richmond was impacted during this time, it managed to navigate this very difficult period in American history due to the already established industries. Soon to be factored in would be the Filice and Perrelli Cannery and the aforementioned Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, which were both completed in 1930. Though the Hotel was succeeding during this time while other luxury hotels around the county were forced to close, it was not earning the revenue it had been projected to make.
The Hotel Carquinez had a legacy that ebbed and flowed with the successes of the city. The Great Depression came to an end in 1939 due the effects World War II began to have on the county and soon after, a major deal was celebrated at the Hotel that would tremendously aid the Allied forces.
Stay tuned for Part Two to learn about the impact of World War II on Richmond and the rebranding of the Hotel Carquinez to the nostalgic Hotel Don!
Resources:
- newspapers.com
- Richmond Independent, Richmond Record Herald
- National Park Service – NP Gallery – Hotel Carquinez
- California Library Association – William Henry Weeks

