In 1954, the Richmond Museum Association (RMA) was incorporated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and remains one of the oldest organizations dedicated to preserving the history of Contra Costa County. The RMA administers two historical sites with educational based programs for the benefit of the public including the Richmond Museum of History and the SS Red Oak Victory. The RMA was proud to celebrate 60 years of preserving history in 2014.
The RMA is governed by a board of 16 directors headed by four board officers that forms an executive committee. The Museum has two paid professional staff and a dedicated team of volunteers. The SS Red Oak Victory ship has a full-time live aboard volunteer and many dedicated volunteers.