The Richmond Museum of History owns a vast collection of books, periodicals, ephemera, photographs, maps and artifacts related to Richmond history. The public is invited to conduct research on a range of subjects including genealogy, early Richmond industry, railroads, WWII home front, and much more. We also welcome volunteers of all ages and skill levels to help care for the permanent collection, call us at 510-235-7387 if you’re interested in volunteering.
Below is just a selection of the many artifacts and documents that comprise the permanent collection of the Richmond Museum of History. All materials are available to the public during open hours. Click the link for a finding guide that includes a list of items in each collection. Additional finding guides will become available as they are completed by staff and volunteers.
- More than 4,000 photographs of local people and places
- Over 200 maps are included in the collection that details the geography and land history of the local area.
- Documents related to Richmond schools, industry, social clubs, public agencies, and more
- Richmond Independent newspaper collection dates from 1908-1945
- Extensive newspaper clipping files organized by subject
- Library of books of related to local history
- Yearbooks from local schools Richmond Museum of History Yearbooks Finding Guide 07.15.2016
- Richmond City Directory and Phone Books (1903-2016) Richmond Museum of History Phone Book City Directory Finding Guide July 2016
- Fore n Aft Magazine-Weekly newsletter of the Kaiser Richmond Shipyard (1941-1946)
- Standard Oil Bulletin and Standard Oiler Magazine
- Archaeological collections recovered from Brooks Island and the Richmond Chinese Shrimping Village
The research room is open during normal business hours, Wednesday through Sunday 1-4. If you wish to use the research room you are encouraged to call 510-235-7387 to make an appointment.
- 8.5×11: $0.50
- 11×17: $1.00
- Digital Scans: $5.00
- Production Fee: $20/hour (after half hour of work)
- Staff Research Time: $20/hour
- Shipping/Handling: depends on package size/weight
- Print/Film Commercial publishers, businesses, individuals: $25
- Print/Film Non-Profit, Government Agencies: $10
- Students: $0
- Internet: $25 (must be download protected)
- For Profit: $25
- Non Profit/Museums/Government Agency: $10
Do you have an artifact or photograph that belongs in our collection? Please call 510-235-7387 or email email@example.com to discuss a donation. Please note due to limitations on space we restrict acquisitions to historically significant materials specific to the City of Richmond and the surrounding region.
Recent publications with images or artifacts from the permanent collection
- Maritime Contra Costa County (2014) by Carol Jensen Images of America Series Arcadia Publishing
- Kari M. Finstad, B. Lynn Ingram, Peter Schweikhardt, Kent G. Lightfoot, Edward M. Luby, George R. Coles (2013) New insights about the construction and use of shell mounds from the geochemical analysis of mollusks: an example from the greater San Francisco Bay in Journal of Archaeological Science Pages 2648-2658
- Children’s Art Children’s Words: WWII Children’s Art in Richmond California (2011) by Joseph Fisher