The Richmond Museum Association welcomes volunteers at both the Richmond Museum of History and the SS Red Oak Victory.
Volunteering at the Richmond Museum of History
The Richmond Museum of History needs volunteers to assist in several areas of Museum operation. Museum staff can arrange internships on request. Please email email@example.com or call 510-235-7387 if you are interested in volunteering.
- Collections Management
- Exhibit Planning & Implementation
- Development & Fundraising
- Graphic Design, Marketing, & Publicity
- Special Events
- Facilities Management
Volunteers are needed in the following departments aboard the SS Red Oak Victory
Restoration and operation of the RED OAK VICTORY require volunteers of many talents and all skill levels. The following is a brief list of the major volunteer work areas:
Docents We are getting more and more groups aboard the ship for tours and there is a need for docents to help conduct these tours. Docent training is provided by a staff of veterans, historians, and trainers and the only requirement of docents is time and enthusiasm.
Education and Public Programs. The mission of our organization is to educate the public about local history. Help us carry out this critical task by helping with education and public programs
• Visitor Services and Docents to help conduct visitor tours of the ship.
Deck Department. Deckies are responsible for general vessel restoration and hull maintenance.
• Refinishing woodwork on the bridge and in the living spaces
• Maintaining paintwork on the hull, superstructure and in below deck spaces
• Operating and maintaining ship’s cargo boom system
• Operating and maintaining life boats and davit systems
• Maintaining vessel mooring equipment
• Mounting, restoring and maintaining ships guns and ordinance
Engineering Department. Our goal is to restore and operate the main propulsion and auxiliary steam, electrical, hydraulic, diesel, and sanitation systems.
• Refurbishing valves, condensers, pumps, boilers and similar systems
• Testing and repairing dc and ac electrical systems
• Testing and repairing boat davit motors and systems
• Testing and repairing ship’s steering and engine room control systems
• Machine shop and welding projects